The Kinsmen Club of Ladysmith and the Festival of Lights committee have agreed that in the interest of public safety, as well as the limited time frame that we have on Light Up Night, we are limiting the number of entries in the parade. A few times there have been issues that have delayed the parade and the balance of the evening. This has made it tough at times for spectators, especially families with young children to be able to stay comfortably to the end of the event.
Download the entry form and rules:
All entries need to be accompanied by either a photo or a detailed description of their entry. The entry also must indicate if there is music or not with the entry and anything else that can help in the planning of the parade. By submitting an entry all organizations, businesses, etc agree to abide by the rules of the parade and all instructions from the parade officials. Entrants are to keep a copy of the rules, that they have printed off with the entry form, and to bring them to the parade so that they will continue to be familiar with them.
The committee will review all entries and will contact each one and let them know if they will be in this year’s parade. If a submission is not accepted for this year, that organization will be given s “boost to the top” for the following year.
We hope that everyone can understand the need to make these changes and we thank all.
- All entrants MUST agree to follow the rules and directions from all the Kinsmen parade personnel, police and Traffic Control personal. The organizers reserve the right to limit entries and/or the number of “pieces” with an entry in.
- All entrants MUST stay within the 20 SECOND SPACE, between floats, that is allowed by the Traffic Controllers, at the start of the parade. There CAN NOT be any interruptions, demonstrations, displays or other actions that will cause any of the entries to stop or unnecessarily slow down during the parade.
- All entrants MUST stop at Bob Stuart Park (where instructed to) and NOT BEFORE and offload ALL riders from their floats. There will be one minute for this! Floats are not to be dismantled there! All floats, after unloading riders only, must cross the Is. highway and proceed to park where instructed by Traffic Personal on Rocky Creek Rd. There is NO STOPPING OR PARKING on Rocky Creek Road between Ludlow and Oyster Bay Drive. Traffic personal will instruct floats on where to park… there are NO exceptions.
- NO ENTRANTS, whether riding or walking, may throw, handout, or in any way distribute any items including brochures, coupons, candy, flowers, etc. while in the parade line up or along the parade route
- All entrants MUST have at least one adult walker on either side of their float to help keep the crowd back. If the entry is over 40’, then there must be at least two walkers on either side of the float.
- All entrants must have lots of festive decoration and lighting in the spirit of the evening. There are to be NO strictly commercial entries. It is a LIGHT UP parade and entries have to decorate accordingly.
- Please NO live Santa Claus characters allowed. Plastic characters, etc, can be used but no live Santa except on the Festival of Lights float.
Thank you for your cooperation and patience!